Friday, May 14, 2010

Jesus Ascended

When Jesus' disciples had spent time with him, experiencing him risen anew, I wonder if they expected him to stay with them and to continue his ministry. I'm not sure that they had any idea what was planned for them. Where the gift of the Holy Spirit would take them.

In Acts, just before he 'was taken up before their very eyes', he tells them that they will recieve power to tell about him from the Holy Spirit. That spreading his story will be their purpose. (Acts 1:8)

Sometimes I wonder if I have completely lost track of my purpose. I share the heritage of the Jesus-story tellers. I carry his precious spirit in me. And yet I spend a vast proportion of my day thinking about such human things. I talk about so many inconsequentials while I could be telling Jesus-stories.

I forget the power which breathes within me. Not my own strength, but the presence and promise that allows me participation in the divine.

His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them
you may participate in the divine nature
and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. 
2 Peter 1:3-4

My human, mundane, nit-treating, playgroup-craft-fudging, case-report-procastinating, last-minute-song-picking, too-easily-frustrated, unaware life can reflect Jesus. His spirit in me transforms my ineptitude and helps me see God. I am touched by his holiness every day.

No comments: