Thursday, June 28, 2012

Conversations about getting old


"When my dementing mother dies, and if there is a heaven, what will she be like there?"

It's put to me as a dealbreaker. Could God answer such a question? Can he solve the ambiguity of human deterioration and eternity?

I understand the dilemma. Is it the me who dies who goes to heaven, or the best possible me? Is my brain part of my soul as much as it is part of my mind? Do resurrection bodies have neurofibrillary tangles or Alzheimer's plaques?

The answer comes as we share a cuppa and she talks about visiting her grandmother in the locked ward. It's to stop her wandering since she kept nipping out to the shops and getting lost in her last nursing home.

My friend cries and tells me her dad loves his mum so much that he sits with her and reminds her of all the little details she forgets. He tells the same stories again and he leads her gently by the arm to the same places. He's tender and careful. And so patient. She's fading and sometimes querulous, but he loves her. He sees her spirit, her history, and it transcends her failing brain.

So in heaven, there'll be healed memories. Resurrection brains won't deteriorate. And your dementing mother will be the woman of youthful vigour and care-worn wisdom that you love.

The fingerprints of this life may be on us, but the light of heaven will be within us, among us.

Somehow. God knows.

linking with Emily at Imperfect Prose.


9 comments:

Beth said...

When my parents were in failing health and, at differing points, died, I remember my mind wandering to thoughts of heaven--a lot. I don't think much about it now--years past those sad days. But I'm glad you've brought it back to my mind, Kath. Interesting and touching post!

Brian Miller said...

smiles..what a beutiful thing it will be to see them put whole again...you made me tear up about the man reminding his mother...made me think of my MIL that passed a few years back...

Mommy Emily said...

i am highlighting this post on friday. there is no doubt about it. absolutely, truly, incredible. xo

Cara Sexton said...

Thank you for your beautiful thoughts. Heaven just seems a little closer these days and these are the kinds of things I wonder. Not as dealbreakers, but because I think our imaginations are given to us for such a purpose. What will wholeness look like, I wonder?

Kath said...

Yes, that is the question, what will wholeness look like? Thanks for your visits and encouragement. And thanks for sharing Em.

Unknown said...

a love that transcends the failing brain because the spirit and the memories are what he chooses to see. breathtaking...

elizabeth said...

What a beautiful love story.

Brother Ollie said...

So encouraging - I've ponder the same thoughts for many years.

Kathleen T. Jaeger said...

I, too, have pondered and wondered what are we really? more physical, emotional, spiritual?

thanks for sharing the poignant thoughts