Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Psalm 50


We are a family. We get together each Sunday morning and at some other times during the week. We pray, we sing, we listen and we speak. We remember and we hope.

There are not many of us, and some of us have few things in common.
But as we listen to Jen, the common looms huge. As we pass bread amongst us, as we eat it, minds and hearts move to the love that invites us. 'Remember me.' A body given as proof of his love.


We stop, we wait. A sip taken together. Heads tipped back in unison, allowing the trickle of life-giving liquid. Allowing the promise, the invitation to the celebration. 'Remember my promise.'


Again and again. Echoing, joining multiplied generations. Age upon age of people remembering. I am part of a powerful story - here in this building, in places all over the world, in centuries, families past and to come.



The Lord, the Mighty One, is God,
and he has spoken;
he has summoned all humanity
from where the sun rises to where it sets.
From Mount Zion, the perfection of beauty,
God shines in glorious radiance.
Our God approaches,
and he is not silent.
Psalm 50:1-3

Later we talk. One conversation of people worn out, too busy. Faithfully bringing this story to churches. Desperately trying to be what people need. Never being enough and never knowing how to be enough.

Needs among God's people are endless. Wounds are deep, and, dare I say, people are selfish and don't know what they ask. He shared of pastors and church workers neglecting their families(their wives, their children) in the effort to give to their flocks. Deep is the fear of not doing enough, not being enough. Rich is the desire to serve and to give, to share and to lead. Tempting to neglect the mundane, the ordinary, that which can be difficult.

So easy to fall for the lie that I am indispensible to God's work. To forget that if I were not here, God would go on speaking among these people. God would go on loving and growing them, drawing them to him. I need to hold these two things together - God wants my good and faithful work, here where I am, and God does not need me to do it.
Remember this - it is I who need him.

He does not want a sacrifice of my devising, my independence, he wants a sacrifice of my thankfulness.


"Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God,
and keep the vows you made to the Most High.
Then call on me when you are in trouble,
and I will rescue you,
and you will give me glory.”
Psalm 50:14-15.

I reached 1000 blessings last week. I will continue to count, but I will no longer post my list each week.

"But giving thanks is a sacrifice that truly honours me.
If you keep to my path,
I will reveal to you the salvation of God.”
Psalm 50:23.





holy experience

2 comments:

suzy said...

"He does not want a sacrifice of my devising, my independence, he wants a sacrifice of my thankfulness."
What a great way of putting it!
Congratulations on making it to 1000!

Dianna said...

Congratulations, Kath, on making it to 1,000!

And thank you for the reminder that if I weren't right where I am that God's work would still go on. Sometimes I get so frustrated because there is so much of the contrary being taught in pulpits today.

It is I who needs Him!