Monday, August 23, 2010

Australia votes...

I want to record my disappointment.

To all you politicians out there...

Congratulations on your tireless hand-shaking, smiling, waving, criticism of each other and status quo-ing. Thanks for listening to all the polls - yes all those ones that change from moment to moment depending on Julia's oufit or Tony's budgie-smugglers.

Well. Australia has voted, and we are all decidedly uninspired. Informal votes are up. Sticking to our convictions is down. Compassion, generosity, being known for deeply held principle - apparently that is just so last century. Weather-vane politics is in.

I'm afraid we are going to get the government we deserve, having created this poll-driven, fickle monster with our own self-absorption.

PS (ignore this parochial, bitter rant if you don't live in south western sydney...). I wish I had written 'Chris Hayes' and numbered his box 1 on my green ballot paper. Who said you could shift him to Fowler, ALP? We liked him here in Werriwa! (Yes channel 7 you didn't have typo on screen you just had no idea about what was going on in individual electorates!)

2 comments:

soph said...

Yep. Your turn to put my thoughts into words!...

Sarah said...

Goodness, what power lies in your words.

Delighted to meet you today. I hope you don't mind if I splash around a bit to get to know you. This looks like a delightful place to slip off my shoes and get soaked in goodness.

Splashin,
Sara