Monday, April 19, 2010

Failing as a mother

I am blown away by this post about grace and parenting. I am often the mum I promised I wouldn't be, also known as the troll who torments my children.

My tiredness, my selfishness, my hurt at not being listened to, my insecurity, my ignorance and lack of understanding, my impatience and my self-absorbtion all drive my angry and spiteful tongue.

Sometimes I don't know what to do about it.

Only the grace of God can make up what I lack.

The first post I linked to, (such inspiring writing!) used this verse from Ephesians to exhort me to consider my words carefully in mothering. Here it is from the translation I often read, but the second version, from the New Century version really made a point about words being able to make people stronger. I love how that roots encouragement into our childrens lives and makes them grow, building tenacity and stability into their beings.

Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them. (Eph. 4:29b - NLT)

When you talk, do not say harmful things, but say what people need—words that will help others become stronger. Then what you say will do good to those who listen to you. (Eph. 4:29 - NCV)

Praise God for wise words from other people, may they help me to become stronger.

stock.xchng

No comments: